Phlebotomy Training in Lorton, VA
Phlebotomy Technicians are critical team members at hospitals, diagnostic laboratories and blood donor centers. As advancements in medical technology rise, it’s an especially exciting time to begin a career in this thriving field. Earning your Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT) certification from NHA can give employers confidence in your skills and abilities. Set yourself up for success and reach your career goals in the rewarding healthcare industry.
Hospitals, laboratories and other employers have an increasing demand for phlebotomists. Most seek, and many require, a professional certification. With a CPT certification, you’ll have the credentials you need to set yourself apart from other applicants as you embark on a rewarding healthcare career. As more employers require phlebotomy certifications, a CPT will help improve your marketability in a growing and rewarding field.
Phlebotomists draw blood for tests, transfusions, research, and blood donations. They work mainly in hospitals, medical labs, diagnostic labs, blood donor centers, and doctor offices. Most significant of all, though, employment of phlebotomists is projected to grow 27% from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.
As a Phlebotomy Technician, you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Draw Blood From Patients & Blood Donors
- Evaluate patients’ ability to withstand procedure
- Explain blood-drawing procedure to patients and answer questions
- Perform basic point of care testing, such as blood glucose levels
- Prepare blood, urine and other specimens for testing
- Verify patient/donor identity
- Maintain medical equipment such as needles, test tubes and blood vials
- Talk With Patients & Donors to Calm Nerves Before Blood Drawings
- Verify Patient or Donor Identity to Ensure Proper Labeling
- Label Blood Drawn for Testing or Processing
- Enter Patient Information into Onsite Databases
- Assemble & Maintain Medical Supplies, including Needles, Blood Tubes, Alcohol Wipes, & Gauze
- Properly Dispose of Biohazard Waste as Outlined by OSHA
Almost all employers look for phlebotomists who have earned professional certification. The Metropolitan Institute of Health & Technology offers phlebotomy training in Lorton, VA, that can help you acquire the essential skills expected of phlebotomists. The training coursework includes successful completion of 30 live venipuntures and 10 dermal. Upon successful course completion students are eligible for certification exam through National Healthcareer Association.
Contact us today to request additional information about our phlebotomy training program. We offer dynamic educational programs at our institute in Lorton, Virginia.